Sunday, November 11, 2012

Nov 11, 2012: Woman groped, assaulted in busy market area

, TNN | Nov 11, 2012, 01.02AM IST
MUMBAI: A 25-year-old woman was abused, slapped and manhandled in public after she yelled at a reportedly drunk man who had groped her in a crowded market area. 

A resident of Antop Hill, the woman was on her way to King's Circle station at 9pm on Wednesday, when three men, who were allegedly drunk and are aged between 21 and 25, passed her by. One of them touched her inappropriately. When she shouted at the man, he turned back and started hurling abuses at her. 

"I then hit him with my handbag. At this, the man slapped me a couple of times, pushed me down and pulled me by my hair. One of his friends joined him in beating me up," said the woman who works at a call center in Malad and was going to her office for the night shift. 

A group of passersby tried to catch hold of the men, but two of them ran away. The crowd then thrashed the third man. "This man had neither touched me nor abused me. But as he was with the two who had misbehaved with me, the crowd beat him up. He also complained his wallet and gold chain were stolen," the woman told TOI. 

By this time, someone from the crowd informed the police. After roughing up the man, the crowd tried to dissuade the woman from taking him to the police station. "But I wanted the offenders to be punished. While I was dragging the man to the police station, I spotted a police jeep," she said. 

The police took the woman and the man to Antop Hill police station and took down her complaint. They grilled the man and picked up the other two. But the woman refused to leave, saying the two men had "manhandled her and slapped her and that it was only fair that she is allowed to slap them". "The police agreed. I slapped the men and told them that the next time they think about touching a woman, the sound of my slap will ring in their ears," the woman told TOI.
Link: Woman groped, assaulted in busy market area

No comments:

Post a Comment