Saturday, May 19, 2012

May 19, 2012: Manipuri woman alleges molestation, late FIR

, TNN | May 19, 2012, 12.35AM IST
GURGAON: A 22-year-old woman from Manipur, a victim of molestation and physical assault, has alleged that police were reluctant to file an FIR in the case and also let off the accused at first. 

She alleged that while the incident took place on Thursday night, an FIR was lodged only on Friday evening. Moreover, she alleged that a sub-inspector (SI) used racially derogatory terms against her cousin. 

Narrating the incident, the victim said, "I was returning to my home after work around 9.45pm on Thursday. I was with my two sisters and a cousin. As I was near my flat in the Chakkarpur area, suddenly the lights went off. A man, who was later identified as Pradeep from the same area, came and grabbed me. I fell and he groped me again. When I tried to hit him, he picked up a brick and tried to hit me in my chest. I managed to block the blow with my arm but got bruised in my arm, knee and fingers." 

We called the police and one PCR came around 11.30pm. The SI and the constable let the accused go after slapping him a few times, instead of filing an FIR. By then some more people from Manipur gathered in the area. When my cousin asked the SI why an FIR was not being filed and why the accused was being released, the police official used racially derogatory terms. Moreover, the SI was without his name plate and identified himself as Rajeev, which was later found to be wrong. 

His correct name, discovered the next day from the police station, was SI Krishan Kumar, she alleged. Moreover, the SI told us that all doctors had gone to sleep and even I should go home and sleep, claimed the victim. "Later when we went to the Sector 29 police station after getting stitches in my finger, staff on duty wrote a complaint but refused to file an FIR," said the victim. 

She said then they went to the police station at 11am on Friday, the officer in charge at the reporting room said they had lost the complaint and did not file an FIR. "It was only when the SHO came at 2pm that he sent the police to arrest the accused, Pradeep. Still no FIR was filed," she said. It was only after 6.30pm that an FIR was filed, eight and a half hours after I was at the hospital, said the victim. However, the police denied allegations of delay in filing the FIR. SHO Satender Singh said there was no delay on his part in registering the FIR.
Link: Manipuri woman alleges molestation, late FIR

No comments:

Post a Comment