Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Feb 5, 2013: Woman attacked in Delhi's Lodhi Garden

TNN | Feb 5, 2013, 02.49 AM IST
NEW DELHI: A 45-year-old businesswoman complained of being assaulted and dragged towards bushes by a drunk in Lodhi Garden on Sunday evening. The accused also grabbed her by the neck during the scuffle, police said.

The accused was later arrested and booked under Section 354 (assault or criminal force to woman with an intent to outrage her modesty) of the IPC. He has been identified as Anand (21), and works for a Lajpat Nagar-based businessman who has an outlet in Khan Market, a police officer said.

The victim, who has a clothes business, alleged that the police arrived late and a call on the number 181 went unanswered. Police maintained that a PCR van was immediately sent to the spot on receiving the call, and there was no delay on their part.

The woman told TOI about her ordeal that lasted half an hour. "Around 6.15pm, I entered Lodhi Garden, where I normally go for a walk. I had parked my car on Amrita Shergill Marg and was walking on the pathway. I was near Gate no. 5 when someone appeared from behind the bushes on my left and tried to pull me in his direction.

"A scuffle ensued and the man tripped. I manage to balance myself and started hitting him. No one came to my help immediately. The man started running and I chased him. Finally, a gardener came to my rescue and was joined by another person. The gardener slapped the accused, who smelt of alcohol," said the victim.

"I was trying to restrain him as I dialled 100. A woman stopped by and dialled 181, but there was no response. A crowd had gathered by then. The woman who responded to my call on 100 asked me where Lodhi Garden was. I informed her I was near Amrita Shergill Marg, but she kept asking for more details. I disconnected. She then called back twice to locate me.

"Finally, a PCR van arrived and police nabbed the man. From 6.20pm to 6.40pm, I was trying to seek help from cops. But the Tughlaq Road police was very efficient and SHO Madan Gopal was quite helpful," she said.

"I find all manner of people hanging around in Lodhi Garden. They even have alcohol but this is the first time I have experienced something of this kind. The security arrangements are quite lax," added the victim. Cops have increased police presence around the park after the incident, a source said.
Link: Woman attacked in Delhi's Lodhi Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment