Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Aug 9, 2011: 25-year-old raped for lodging police complaint

, TNN | Aug 7, 2011, 10.30PM IST
NAGPUR: A married woman with high fever was raped at knifepoint after being thrashed in her house at Bhande plot slums in the wee hours of Sunday.

The accused wanted to take revenge after she turned down his advances in the past. Disturbed and depressed, the woman wanted to end her life but her husband consoled and persuaded her to lodge a police complaint.

In June this year, Raju Thawre alias Bunty was implicated in a murder case after he aided a youth to kill his father. He was released on bail a couple of days ago.

Thawre apparently barged into the Sangeeta's (name changed) room after her husband had gone for a night shift to MIDC. The accused whipped out a knife and after threatening Sangeeta, raped her.

Born and brought up in the same locality, Sangeeta had a tough time thwarting Thawre's advances. According to sources, Thawre had earlier tried to harass Sangeeta but she had managed to escape from his clutches. On another occasion, she was rescued by a woman residing in the neighbourhood.

Last year too, Sangeeta had approached police after Thawre and his associates created a scene near her residence but what action was taken is not yet clear.

A distraught Sangeeta narrated her tragic tale to TOI. "There was a knock on my door when I was resting. Fever had already made me weak. The lights were on as I feel insecure here," she said, adding "Thawre forced his way into my room and started thrashing me."

"Thawre came with a big knife. Fortunately, due to my quick reflexes his attempt to stab me backfired. The blow though left a mark on the wall. He then forced me to undress by holding the knife against my throat. Later, he raped me," she said.

Thawre was accompanied by another youth who is yet to be arrested. "A man had come with Thawre who stood outside but later he too came inside and started making sexual overtures towards me. Thawre asked him to wait outside before he committed the crime," said a shattered Sangeeta.

"I wanted to commit suicide but my husband returned from work half an hour after the incident occurred. He supported me before persuading me to approach the police," she added.

Sangeeta had a love marriage with Sandesh (name changed). The couple was staying at Rani Durgavati Chowk for some time before returning to Bhande slums where Sangeeta's brother was living alone. Just a day before the incident, her brother had gone to Pauni.

Sakkardara police have arrested Thawre on charges of rape, assault, trespass and possession of weapons.

No comments:

Post a Comment